Walk & Bike Mendocino will be hosting the first ever Big Bike Bash at Alex Thomas Plaza in Ukiah on August 17 from 5 to 8 PM. The Big Bike Bash is a celebration of bicycles with a focus on the joy of bicycling. The event will be free. Food trucks and beverages for both adults and children will be available. The following morning at 9AM Walk & Bike Mendocino staff will lead a Family Bike Safety Workshop and Fun Ride. The bike safety workshop will be led by certified bike trainer Erich Sommer and will help parents and children learn the basics or safe bike riding. Parents will also be coached to continue working with their kids on traffic safety.
Free bike valet parking will be available for those who choose to ride to the event.
Activities will include:
· Helmet decorating and face painting for kids
· People’s choice bike awards – a variety of bicycles (racing bikes, specially modified bikes, tandems, mountain bikes, etc) will be on display. Attendees will be encouraged to vote for their favorite bike.
· Adult Drift Trike races – Drift trikes are “Big Wheels” that tend to slide sideways around corners. Participants can take a turn on the trikes. There will also be “Celebrity” trike races featuring Ukiah High Principal Gordon Oslund, Police Chief Dewey, David Weiss (COO Adventist Health), Shannon Riley, UUSD Superintendent Deb Kubin, Firefigher John Strangio, Mo Mulheren, and more. Participants will be encouraged to soak the racers during the race!
· Water soakers
· Information Booths (Safe Routes to Schools, Street Safety, Dave’s Bike Shop, Bicycle Kitchens, Ukiah Valley Trail Group)
· Scavenger Hunt
· Community Inspired Bike Art Project – The bike will be raffled off! Win an Art Bike!
For more information or to volunteer call 707-467-3217
Family Bike Workshop and Fun Ride.
Families are invited to learn how to ride together in a safe and fun way at our FREE Family Bicycling Workshop. Join our certiﬁed cycling instructor and learn the safest neighborhood routes to schools, parks, and more! Kids receive a free blinky light! Children must be able to ride a bike and be ready to take to the road with their parents. Parents are allowed to trail their children in trailers or child seats too.
Bring your own bikes and helmets. Register early, space is limited! For more information call Erich at 707-841-7029
About the Family Bike Safety Workshop and Fun Ride Erich Sommer said “It’s really important to us to provide this kind of training. Oftentimes people don’t realize what they don’t know until they take one of our classes. We can alleviate a lot of safety concerns people have about biking and that then allows them to become more active.”
Walk & Bike Mendocino is a program of North Coast Opportunities. Our mission is to create happy, healthy, connected communities by making it easy to Walk & Bike.
For more information on the Big Bike Bash go to walkbikemendo.org or call 467-3217
For more information on the Family Bike Workshop and Fun Ride call Erich Sommer at 707-841-7029